Albert Einstein once said, “Curiosity is more important than knowledge.” We’re pretty sure he wasn’t talking about ‘where do missing socks go’, or, ‘I wonder what would happen if I took a bite of that stranger’s sandwich’ kind of curiosity either. Alberta Beer Festivals is proud to say that the #BeTheBrewer contest is back – and that means you could experience what it is like to brew a beer from start to finish. Whether you are a beer fanatic, or just someone who enjoys unique experiences – then the #BeTheBrewer contest is for you.
What Exactly is the #BeTheBrewer Contest?
The #BeTheBrewer Contest is Alberta Beer Festival’s way of giving you the chance to feel what it is really like to brew a beer from start to finish. Join the beer journey from style choice, to beer naming, then label design, the actual brewing, and finally beer launch as you get to experience what it is like to #BeTheBrewer!
Every year, ABF teams up with the Brew Master Program at Olds College to brew a beer for our spring festivals. Starting January 12th, you are invited to #BeTheBrewer and experience what it’s like to run your own brewery and brew your own beer. You (along with other Albertans) can vote on which style gets brewed, submit a name for the beer, design the beer label, enter for a chance to help us brew the beer, and of course be at the beer launch party! Then, next spring when you visit Beer University at either the Calgary International Beerfest (first weekend in May), or the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival (first weekend in June), you can brag to all your friends that you were one of the ‘brewers’ that made the beer being poured in BeerU!
When Does the #BeTheBrewer Contest Happen?
- U Vote for the #BeTheBrewer Beer Style (January 12th to 19th)
- U Name the #BeTheBrewer Beer! (January 22nd to 29th)
- U Design the #BeTheBrewer Beer Label (February 1st to 16th)
(NOTE! Anyone can enter! All entries are welcome! Use stock photos, sketch your design on a napkin, or design it on your computer – ABF’s amazing graphic artists will take the best entry and turn it into this year’s #BeTheBrewer beer label!)
- U Brew the Beer – Grand-Prize winners from the Style, Name and Design stages of the contest, along industry leaders, will be given the opportunity to join several leading brewers and the brew master students to actually brew the beer at Olds College in late February.
- U Come to the Beer Launch Party – Everyone who enters the contest will be invited to our Beer Launch Party in late March where they’ll be the first people to get to try the beer.
Where will you be able to try the #BeTheBrewer beer?
The beer will be available at the following locations across Alberta:
- On tap at Craft Beer Market and Beer Revolution in both Edmonton and Calgary
- At select Sobeys Liquor locations in Calgary and Edmonton
- In the taproom of the Olds College Brewery
- Inside Beer University at both the Calgary International Beerfest and the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival
What can you win in the #BeTheBrewer Contest?
Grand Prizes for U Choose the Style, U Name the Beer, and U Design the Label Contests.
- Craft Beer Market Experience Prize Pack
- Beer Revolution Experience Prize Pack
- 2 Beer Judging spots for the Canadian International Beer Awards at the Calgary International Beerfest
- 2 Weekend VIP tickets to 5 of our festivals (Excludes Jasper Summit – Friday Evening and Saturday Afternoon Sessions)
- 4 Friday GA tickets for 4 festivals (excluding Banff and Jasper) for friends
- Invite to Brewing Day at the Olds College Brewmaster Program Brewery
- Invite to the Beer Launch parties at Beer Revolution
- Invite to Festival Media Launch parties at Craft Beer Market
*** NOTE! All entrants will receive invitations to the Beer Launch and Festival Launch parties in both Calgary and Edmonton!
A HUGE thanks got our sponsors who we couldn’t put this contest on without! Thanks to the Olds College Brew Master Program, Craft Beer Market, Beer Revolution, and all the other people that have made this contest possible!
For more information – or to enter the contest – go to www.albertabeerfestivals.com/bethebrewer or follow us @ABBeerfestivals