You don’t have to love beer to love one of the best beer festivals in the world!
Unless you’ve attended the Calgary International Beerfest in the past couple of years, you might not realize it has evolved to become one of the best beer festivals in the world. ‘So much goes on at the event, it really is a festival anyone can enjoy,” says Mark Kondrat, CEO of Alberta Beer Festivals.
With the festival fast approaching, here are our top 5 reasons to attend the event this year:
- Of course. With over 160 breweries to sample and enjoy. ‘Alberta has always enjoyed a great import beer selection, and with the rapid expansion in the number of craft breweries in the province, we now have an equally impressive local beer scene,’ adds Kondrat. With new launches, one-of-a-kind casks, and seasonals, Beerfest might be your only chance to sample some of these incredible beers. And title sponsor Sobeys Liquor will have a store on site, so when you’re ready to leave, you can take your new favorite beer with you.
- So Much More to Drink and Eat. This year will feature the Craft Distillery District, a new micro-event within the festival. Craft Distillery District will showcase 16 of Alberta’s craft distillers – an industry growing almost as quickly as the craft beer industry. Sample these spirits and even check out a working still. Add that to the more than 30 fantastic local pubs, restaurants, and eateries, along with ciders, meads, and a few other mixed beverages, and you have yet another reason this festival appeals to everyone.
- Back again this year is the award winning ATB Beer University. With more and more people wanting to learn where their food and beverage come from, Beer U is the perfect place to experience the grains-to-glass concept. With a new cask stage, industry leaders, and the ability to take the MBA quiz (Masters of Beer Appreciation), this is one school you’ll want to attend. And it wouldn’t be a festival without great local entertainment. New this year, the Calgary Folkfest Stage joins the Village Stage to present some of Calgary’s best live performers.
- The festival has two amazing seminars to enjoy. The ever-popular Craft Brew Master seminar allows you to hear the stories behind the brewers, the breweries, and the beers. The Rickard’s Cooking with Beer seminar features food pairings and cheese pairings – and new this year – chocolate and beer pairings!
- Nothing brings people together like good food and beverage. The festival is about coming together – having fun together – celebrating Calgary and Alberta together. Every ABF event supports charities. For this event, ABF has donated tickets to over 70 Alberta organizations to help with fundraising – and their two charities of choice are once again Kids Up Front and the Autism and Asperger’s Friendship Society. It takes over 200 volunteers and organizers ten months and countless hours to put together this festival – it is a festival Calgary and Alberta can be proud of.
CALGARY INTERNATIONAL BEERFEST – MAY 5 & 6, 2017
Get Tickets At: www.myshowpass.com/2017-calgary-international-beerfest
EDMONTON CRAFT BEER FESTIVAL – JUNE 2 & 3, 2017
Get Tickets At: www.myshowpass.com/2017-edmonton-craft-beer-festival
And keep up to date with everything happening in the Alberta beer community by following us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram at @ABBeerfestivals
To get the most out of your Beerfest experience, download the JustBeer APP for an interactive map, times of important highlights at the festival, a full exhibitor list, and keep track of your favorite beers at the event.